Thursday, October 8, 2009

No Dumb Blondes Here

It was a lovely fall morning. We drove into one of the best kept secrets of the Puget Sound...a tiny town called Steilacoom, for their annual Apple Squeeze festival. As is common at festivals, parking was scarce, so when a space opened up on a rather steep hill, I decided to take it. If Jaylon had been there, he would have made me switch places with him since my weakness in parking is a well known fact between us. But since this is my year to go above and beyond my comfort level, I had to take the plunge. I tried to park with confidence and boldness. I thought I was a little too close to the car behind me and so, proud of myself for remembering the special trick Jaylon taught me, I used both feet to slam down on the gas and the brake at the same time, in order to maneuver away from the car behind me without rolling into it. Imagine my shock and surprise as I flew-not forward- but BACKWARDS, with full gas and force of gravity, into a sickening collision with the parked car behind me. That's right folks, this intelligent blond forgot she was still in reverse. Ahh, if I could have taken a picture of the shocked onlookers. My children screamed. I shook for a few minutes and tried not to swear. My legs hardly held me as I went to look at the damage. I fully expected this mistake to cost hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars. And this is when I learned that

is truly built like a rock. Not a scratch, not a ding, not a whisper. No bruises of any kind on this amazing, sturdy, fabulously shiny, new, expensive jeep. My car? That's a different story. Mine crumpled a bit. But it could have been so much worse. So very very very much worse. Thank you Jeep, for being strong enough to withstand my assault. You allowed us to go on and have a wonderfully care-free and giddy afternoon.

And my dear, darling husband? What was his reaction? There are silver linings to this deployment. An episode that surely would have resulted in some tense moments...perhaps even harsh words...instead my teensy mistake is completely overshadowed by his love and longing for me. Ah ha- this will be the year we never ever ever fight. And my next car will be a Jeep.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! And SO something that I would do! :o) My worst is when I got out of the car to open the gate and realized that the car was still in drive! As I turned around from opening the gate the car was slowly rolling by me. I had to run with my flip flops flying off, and luckily, was able to jump in the driver's side and stop the car before it slammed into our nursery building...with the kids inside! Whew! It was a close one! I bet the neighbors had a good laugh!

    ReplyDelete