Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Scaredy Cat

As I write this post I am under siege. It's midnight and I should be asleep but I can't sleep because I am listening to little creatures scurrying around on my floor. That's right. Scurry. I can hear them rattling the gas switch, trying to get into my house. I can hear them chewing my bags of flour that I just bought for food storage. They have called all of their little friends in for a feast at my expense. And I am afraid. I am afraid of these little mice who are ambushing my house. Mice look cute in pictures like the one below. They are adorable main characters in cartoons. But in real life, when the house is dark and still and I am already a little spooked...they are scary. Many times, countless moments, I have missed my husband and I've cried in lonliness and grief and frustration. But this takes the cake. I can barely kill spiders. I can't face a colony of mice. Help!!! What do I do??? It's going to be a long and sleepless night. Don't think I haven't already pictured those little mousies running up my stairs and up my bed and across my face....or into the baby's bed. Yuck. I thought I was done with pests when we left Oklahoma. At least the scorpions didn't make noise. The worst thing is that they are bold. When I first heard the mice I stomped downstairs and shouted and (literally) begged them to leave. They kept right on chewing and I retreated in fear and wondered if my neighbor would be mad if I called at midnight to borrow her cat. Ugh.

4 comments:

  1. OH MY GOSH- that is Horrible:( YUCK!!!!!!
    Check out these mouse traps- I've heard it's the best!!!
    http://www.orthohomedefense.com/

    It's the Ortho Home Defense Max- you don't have to touch them or have a messy clean up!!!
    I hope it works!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jami, I can SOOOO relate! We have an (almost) 100 year old house that is up on blocks and have had the worst RAT problem! IN MY KITCHEN! BIG RATS...LIKE ALMOST 1 FT LONG WITHOUTH THE NASTY TAIL!!! sigh Anyways, we tried all kids of different things and then one of my brother in laws has gone into the critter and pest defense business and he has given us all kings of tips. We have only caught 1 rat in almost 6 months, and it was in my attic...which is a HUGE improvement over my kitchen. I don't know how much it would cost or of it is worth the money to you, but you might want to check out a critter control person! If you want, I could give you my brother-in-laws contact info and maybe he could give you tips over the phone. I know with rats if you don't block where they are coming in from you can catch them all day, but new rats will follow the trail and ALWAYS come in after them. Anyways...good luck, and know I am feeling your pain with you! Start by putting your flour in air-tight containers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mouse trap (placed on newspaper) with peanut butter - works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Get a cat?

    We had mice a few months ago, and I got the humane traps to trap them... I know, I'm too much of a softy, and I'd even walk a few blocks to discreetly release them in the public park, or even sometimes give them a ride over there in the car...anyway the traps worked even if they're a pain.

    I'd make sure all the food was packaged securely and that the kitchen was meticulously cleaned at night.

    but, ever since we got a cat, I have seen no sign of any mice anywhere in the house. It's not that the cat gets them, but that they are terrified to live within the same quarters as him that they apparently left on their own.

    ReplyDelete